After the improvements of early last week Kai started to go backwards on Thursday and Friday. He lost his bounce, his appetite and the diarrhoea wouldn't stop. We tried yoghurt. We tried a paste the vet gave us but nothing worked. And to make matters worse he managed to remove a stitch in one of his tail wounds which then opened up. The wound, being high up on the underneath of his tail, couldn't have been in a worse place for a cat with diarrhoea and a dead tail that just hung limp behind him. We covered the wound. We washed him. Several times a day. But both the tail and the wound got worse. On Saturday morning we took him back to the vet and he was operated on immediately.
Kai now has a two inch stump of a tail but he's back to his old bouncy self. He eats everything put in front of him. He's almost diarrhoea free and he's happy. But ... he's still incontinent. Hopefully this might change when he has his stitches out. In the meantime we keep a pair of old towels handy ready to slip underneath him whenever he jumps onto anyone's lap.
Kai's next visit to the vet is tomorrow.